INTERN WITH US!
We are calling all animal lovers! If you’re looking for an internship sanctuary experience in the magical Andes Mountains in South America, we are waiting for you!
At the sanctuary, we have early hours and late nights.
As an intern, you need to be ready to receive instructions and carry them out to the best of your ability. You’re not signing up for a holiday with lots of animal cuddles, you will be put to work on our internship program… ok ok, yes! you will get those animal cuddles too!
We are a medium size sanctuary that has been rescuing animals for the last 17 years, with around 300 rescued animals living right now in the sanctuary fields. We are the first sanctuary in Colombia and the only one in South America verified by the Global Federation for Animals Sanctuary.
Your help is essential to continue giving animals the best quality of life, the sanctuary team is responsible for the daily care of our rescued animals living at the Sanctuary. Animal Caregiving Interns are vital to daily functioning, and your support is essential.
-Must be 18 years or over
-Must eat a plant-based diet while at the sanctuary
-Pay your own airfare
-Able to carry out tasks of a physical nature
-Reliable, honest, and hardworking
-Be comfortable and loving with all the animals
-Respect the peaceful environment at the sanctuary
-Provide references from organizations you have volunteered with before or from your current employer
-Help to maintain buildings and fences
-Be able to work cooperatively with other volunteers and staff
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
-Cleaning out kitty litter trays & bedding; poo patrol
-Raking – keeping all pathways clear & presentable
-Sorting & assisting with feeding as required
-Cleaning the animal shelters
-Collecting or spreading cow manure
-Working in the organic greenhouse
-Sharing time with animals
-Brushing the animals
-Assisting in maintaining records for each individual animal
-Contributing content for social media and website
-Carrying bales of hay to some of the animals
-Cleaning rescued rats’ cages
-Cleaning water bowls and troughs and replenishing them with fresh water
-Raking and cleaning out barns, coops, and pens
-Taking out garbage and recycling
-Refilling feed bins
-Unloading hay and food deliveries
-Supporting staff and vets during health checks and treatments when needed
-Observing animal behavior and getting to know each animal as an individual
-Willing and able to perform all responsibilities and duties
-Ability to maintain a positive and respectful attitude
-Strong team player while having the ability to work independently
-Capable of working in different weather conditions (No worries, we don’t have winter or summer in this area, it is nice weather normally)
-Be reliable and hard-working
-Ability to perform strenuous physical labor and consistently lift at least 50 pounds unassisted
-No previous animal experience is necessary but it is a big plus
WHEN: RIGHT NOW! November to January 2023
We expect volunteers to volunteer for a minimum of 3 months. Pick your best months…
- January to March
- April to July
- August to October
- October to December
Weekly Cost of Living Reimbursement :
We will cover the costs of your living expenses bi-weekly in cash.
The sanctuary house:
- The Sanctuary House is a shared, comfortable communal space where every intern lives. You can have your own bedroom or share (It depends on the number of interns we have at the moment), and each bedroom has a private bathroom.
- Companion animals are not permitted.
- Out of respect for the rescued animals under our protection and our desire to change the world for animals, all staff and interns are required to maintain a plant-based (aka vegan) diet while on sanctuary property.
- Food markets and restaurants are within a 15-minute drive. We are located near the town of Chia, where you can find everything, and 40 minutes from the capital city Bogota. Transportation and food are very cheap.
- Interns are responsible for buying and preparing their own food and have to keep clean all the areas of the sanctuary house. There is a schedule among all the residents of the sanctuary house to organize the cleaning days
- A vehicle is provided to full-time interns living on-site to go grocery shopping only for those with valid driver’s licenses who are eligible. If not, transportation is easy here, and we also do weekly trips with interns to the grocery shop.